Questions for Guardianship Firms
Families who are looking to use a guardianship firm's services may be unfamiliar with how these services work. For the peace of mind of both parents and students, it is a good idea to ask about anything you may be unsure of. Here are a few examples of questions that families like to ask..
- What exactly will I be paying for? (It is important that you are 100% clear and happy about the service you will be receiving.)
- Will my child be able to stay with the same family throughout the time that they are educated in the UK?
- Can my child move to a different host family if things don’t work out?
- Do you offer 24-hour cover in case of an emergency?
- Are you fully insured?
- Who will be the legal guardian - the host family or the director of the guardianship firm? Who should my child contact if he or she is having a problem? (It is key that you establish this because in many firms the appointed guardian is actually the director of the firm, not the host family.)
- How do you choose and inspect your guardians? Are they DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checked?
- Will my child have the opportunity to meet and socialise with other overseas students?