Tier 2 General Visa

You can apply for a Tier 2 (General) Visa if you have been offered a skilled job in the UK

In order to be eligible for a tier 2 (General) Visa, the applicant must have a certificate of sponsorship reference number (the work you do in the UK must be related to the work of your sponsor organisation), an appropriate salary, have knowledge of the English language, and have savings of £945 in your bank account for 90 days prior to your application. Upon a successful application, you will be entitled to stay for a maximum of 5 years and 14 days, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 1 additional month, whichever is shorter.

What you can do;

  • Work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
  • Do a second job in the same sector and at the same level as your main job for up to 2 hours per week
  • Do a job which has a shortage of workers in the UK for up to 20 hours per week
  • Partake in voluntary work
  • Study as long as it does not interfere with the job you’re sponsored for
  • Travel abroad and return to the UK
  • Bring family members with you

What you can’t do;

  • Own more than 10% of your sponsor’s shares (unless earning over £153,500 a year)
  • Get public funds
  • Start working before you get the visa
  • Apply for a second job until you’ve started working for your sponsor